Keeping our children safe
Protecting our students' data is just as important as their physical safety
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule implements the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, which prohibits unfair or deceptive acts or practices in connection with the collection, use, and/or disclosure of personal information from and about children on the Internet.
It is meant as a general set of guidelines relating to how data is collection from children (defined as under the age of 13) and how it is used.
How we comply
As you would expect we are 110% compliant with COPPA. In fact, we go way beyond to ensure the safety and privacy of students, teachers and parents.
We understand how, in today's age of the internet and open communication, this has to be a top-of-mind issue for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us to inquire or for us to make appropriate customization to suit your policies.
- Best-in-class encryption on ALL communication (312.8)
- Collecting only minimal information (name and email) for the purposes of identification only (312.3, 312.7, 312.10)
- We do not solicit additional information (e.g. phone, physical address etc.) (312.7)
- We provide parents full access to their students account (controlled by teacher) (312.6)
- Our cookies do not hold any private information (i.e. when the student is logged out, all their information is cleared from the browser) (312.10)
- We never email students directly (only automated password-reset emails)
- We never advertise or market any products on our platform (we are not an ad platform and will never be)
- We never sell information (312.8)
- We only share information with third-party apps you approve (i.e. single-signon) (312.8)
- All chat-like communication is within classroom groups defined by the teacher (i.e. any chat is created by the teacher for internal use only) and is not accessible externally
- Finally, and to restate the obvious, we do not own in anyway, any of your, your students' or your school's data. Upon single request from you, we immediately (1) delete your data forever, and/or (2) send you all the data to save or use at your convenience.
While registering or purchasing ZeGenie® Service, you may be asked for your basic details like name, age, email, country, location and your residential details along with billing details(credit card number and personal information). ZeGenie® can also collect and preserve other information about the classes you have, and other information which you may voluntarily choose to provide which includes pictures and other identity information.
Right to Opt in and Opt Out
You have the power to “opt-in” and “opt-out” of certain of our uses of your private information. You can also choose or opt for not receiving any promotional emails from ZeGenie®. If you choose not to receive any promotional emails from ZeGenie®, we may still contact you in relation with your prolonged use of ZeGenie® Service.
Collection of Information via Technology
In order to improve the performance of our website, every time when you visit ZeGenie® website, the following things are automatically collected and stored by us
- The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the website which you linked to our website.
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address of the PC through which you are online.
- The browser which you are using.
- Your operating system.
- The date and time when you accessed our sites.
- URL of your target when you leave our website.
Cookies may also be used by us which will provide you with a more personal and user friendly experience on our website. Cookies are pieces of information which are generated by our website and stored on user’s computer. Cookies are used by us to maintain your website options, to automate the logins in to your website. They also help in analyzing traffic to our websites and also help in tracking downloads or referrals. This information may be related with the private information which is available in your account.
“Clear GIFs” or pictures may be used by us which will help in analyzing the traffic on our websites. They will also be useful within HTML e-mail to check whether emails have been opened or not. Clear GIFS are also known as Web Beacons or Web Bugs. They are small images embedded in web pages and in emails. Clear Gifs are not used by us to collected or preserve any of your private information.
How Your Information is used
Whatever the purpose may be, your information will be collected only to extent necessary to fulfill you requests and our business objectives. For example, your personal information submitted through a job application is used by us to assess your candidacy or the email address which is obtained from the newsletter registration is used to deliver the newsletter emails. We utilize your personal information for the following purposes:
- Reply to your requests for extra information.
- Give you access to content.
- Let you know of the changes to the website.
- Provide item support, customer services and other connections related to your dealings on our website or with our products(reminders of all the posts you have made, reminders about the expiry of the posts, reminders to update them) decide if you are certified to get certain products, services or promotions, give you additional information that may be of your liking which includes marketing materials, and support other business purposes, such as development of products, applications of jobs and administration of website.
Sharing of Information with Third Parties
Your information will never be shared with a third party by us other than outlined in this policy or that you have explicitely approved. The information you provide us may be used by us to give you access to the different parts of ZeGenie® Service. The information will also be used by us for our internal record keeping purposes and we may send you notices by email and schemes and also examples of method also let you know about additional courses or any other programs in which you may be interested.
Following are the methods by which third parties can have access to your information:
Public Display of Information
If you take part in community features, you will be making your username display in the public. You are also allowed to display your basic information like name, contact info through our services. Moreover our chat, tricks and forums allow you to interact with members of the online community. If you give your private info in any part of the website, that information can be collected and misused by people whom you are not familiar with and so you should never give out your private information. You should never post your full name, residential address, home phone number or any other financial information that would allow users to identify and locate you.
Frequently we hire other companies to carry out tasks necessary for our internal operations. For example database hosting providers. Your personal information may be accessed by the companies hired by us, while they are providing services for us. These companies are ordered to use it mainly as requested by us for the purpose of our service. Such companies are under the obligation to preserve your personal information in confidence. Postal addresses to the U.S. Post office or other couriers may also be provided by us for delivery purposes.
Legally Compelled Disclosures
User information may be disclosed by us whenever we are forced to do as by government authorities or whenever required or permitted by law for example like for responding to court orders and subpoenas. User information may also be disclosed by us whenever we believe that any individual could be harmed by such activities.
Purchase or Sale of Businesses/Survivability
If you want to know ...
The various types of personal information that we disclosed in the previous calendar year to such third parties regarding you and/or the names and addresses of such third parties please use our customer support form to contact us.
For your queries and feedback regarding our privacy practices, please contact us through our feedback form.